I tweeted these forever ago, but the internet just noticed and I figure I should probably at least put them on my blog. I’m glad people are finding them useful.
Here they are, a mix of things learned from directors & coworkers at Pixar, listening to writers & directors talk about their craft, and via trial and error in the making of my own films.
#1: You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.
#2: You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be v. different.
#3: Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.
#4: Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.
#5: Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
#6: What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
#7: Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
#8: Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
#9: When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up.
#10: Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
#11: Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.
#12: Discount the 1st thing that comes to mind. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th – get the obvious out of the way. Surprise yourself.
#13: Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likable to you as you write, but it’s poison to the audience.
#14: Why must you tell THIS story? What’s the belief burning within you that your story feeds off of? That’s the heart of it.
#15: If you were your character, in this situation, how would you feel? Honesty lends credibility to unbelievable situations.
#16: What are the stakes? Give us reason to root for the character. What happens if they don’t succeed? Stack the odds against.
#17: No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on - it’ll come back around to be useful later.
#18: You have to know yourself: the difference between doing your best & fussing. Story is testing, not refining.
#19: Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.
#20: Exercise: take the building blocks of a movie you dislike. How d’you rearrange them into what you DO like?
#21: You gotta identify with your situation/characters, can’t just write ‘cool’. What would make YOU act that way?
#22: What’s the essence of your story? Most economical telling of it? If you know that, you can build out from there.
You can find more stuff I talk about on twitter as @lawnrocket - film and storytelling mostly. I try to keep the what-I-ate-for-lunch posts to a minimum.
- wendydoodles likes this
- tearingsky reblogged this from jelazakazone
- lannydraws likes this
- suchstuffasdreamsare likes this
- leairan84 likes this
- avfug reblogged this from butnotquite
- urarakachi likes this
- misslillyrose likes this
- mkyujji reblogged this from jelazakazone
- mkyujji likes this
- lillyeyescanlie likes this
- kokedem likes this
- butnotquite reblogged this from sun-thief-rai
- butnotquite likes this
- professional-fangirl2187 reblogged this from sapphireemeralds
- professional-fangirl2187 likes this
- katanna98 likes this
- sapphireemeralds reblogged this from sun-thief-rai
- baby-dahl reblogged this from sun-thief-rai
- baby-dahl likes this
- jelazakazone reblogged this from idhren
- aleegrrl likes this
- phanerons-end reblogged this from savonaut
- phanerons-end likes this
- savonaut reblogged this from sun-thief-rai
- idhren reblogged this from storyshots
- idhren likes this
- roystache likes this
- sun-thief-rai reblogged this from allthecleverthings
- tepid-caterwaul likes this
- robinsartfarts likes this
- rebelsofthefuture likes this
- avelebron reblogged this from storyshots
- pyroxygen likes this
- discoterror likes this
- herald-o likes this
- archstudentmind likes this
- opposethetypical likes this
- acousticlilly reblogged this from storyshots and added:
- amonstar likes this
- darshuk likes this
- innishere reblogged this from storyshots
- innishere likes this
- rinpii reblogged this from loverinney
- toddmcarthur likes this
- lauraecraig reblogged this from storyshots
- theraisinables likes this
- lunaloupgarou likes this
- poopfoamexplosion likes this